Jim H. Lee and Aaron Lee talk about the cultural challenges that Asian employees face when working in Western workplaces.
Drawing from personal experiences, they highlight how crucial it is for managers to understand and appreciate cultural differences. They suggest how managers can empower Asian employees to think critically and contribute their own ideas and address any discrepancies in feedback. They also discuss the significance of having diversity in leadership and creating an inclusive work environment.
Discussing self-reflection and conscious leadership, Jim and Aaron encourage Asian and Western employees alike to bridge cultural gaps and engage genuinely with others.
- 0:27 – The importance of cultural distinctions
- 01:38 – The need for creativity and independent thinking in the workplace
- 07:23 – The impact of childhood experiences on decision-making
- 10:34 – Cultural Challenges in Asian Work Culture
- 11:58 – The Importance of Feedback and Empowerment
- 15:10 – Understanding Different Cultural Backgrounds
- 21:45 – The challenges of leading a diverse team
- 23:03 – The importance of valuing diversity in the workplace
- 23:57 – The need for building relationships and understanding cultural differences
- 31:59 – The journey of self-discovery
- 33:03 – Embracing discomfort and cultural differences
- 34:01 – Taking the first step towards allyship
Episode 55 – Full Transcript